Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The First Post EVER

On a whim, and because I procrastinate far too much, I decided to create a blog. 

However, I was by no means intending to post something instantaneously. So, for now, this pathetic excuse for a first-ever blog entry will have to do, while I muck about with settings and features and all that fun stuff that lets me avoid my Physics homework. 

Later:

Okay. So. This blog was intended to be partially used as a tool to increase my marketability, and so on and so forth. This gives birth to some problems, such as: what background do I use? I have to look somewhat professional, so I think all the gothic, glittering, swirling backgrounds are probably out, no matter how alluring I find them. Also, for readability, I think it has to be somewhat light-coloured, but not neon bright, and not too distracting on the sides...

Sheesh. Blogging takes up almost as much brain power as Physics.

Even later:

*does a happy dance* I made the pretty banner work. You wouldn't believe how difficult that was to do. Way more trouble than it should have been. 

Anyway, I've decided to do a halfway decent post now. I really ought to focus on more literary subjects, maybe, but I can't think of anything at the moment (probably because it's 10:18 pm) so I'll tell you about the Beef Broth Incident. 

My sister has a cold. 

So, when she said she was hungry, I offered to make her some chicken noodle soup. Trouble only arose when I went out to the kitchen, raided the cupboards, and discovered that there was onion soup, mushroom soup, cream of celery soup...but no chicken noodle.

Feeling very clever, I thought to myself, I'll just boil some pasta in chicken broth and voila!

I saw a can with the word 'broth' on it (chicken broth is the only kind of broth I have ever seen in our cupboards until today), grabbed it, opened it, and poured it into a pot. However, as I was adding water, it dawned on me that the alleged chicken broth was a rather odd shade of dark brown.

I looked at the can again...and discovered it was beef broth. No chicken broth to be found anywhere in the cupboard. (Nothing much to be found at all, actually, in the cupboard or the fridge, because it had been a while since anyone had been to the grocery store.)

I glanced around. My sister was safely in her room. She hadn't seen the can. So I chucked it and kept cooking, since I had nothing else to make her and I figured she might be feverish enough to not notice the colour.

Ten mintues later:

Sister: What's wrong with it?
Me: Nothing.
Sister: Why's it black?
Me: It's not black. 
Sister: Yes it is.
Me: It's brown.
Sister: It's black. You burned the soup!
Me: I did not! That's just...what it looks like.
Sister: Is not! What's wrong with it?
Me: Nothings wrong with it. Just try a bit.
Sister: No! It's black! It's probably old!
Me: It's not old. There's a perfectly good reason why it's that colour. Just try it.
Sister: What's the reason? Tell me the reason!
Me: ...You'll like it.
Sister: Why is it black?
Me: Well...it's not exactly the regular chicken broth, per se.
Sister: Then what is it?
Me: (from behind my anti-germ mask) Beef broth.
Sister: Beets?! I hate beets!
Me: No, no. Not beets. (wait for her to look relieved) It's beef.
Sister: BEEF?! YOU'RE TRYING TO FEED ME BEEF?! I'M A VEGETARIAN!
Me: You eat chicken broth. Chicken is meat.
Sister: But that's chicken. Beef is like, the meatiest meat of all!
Me: Ugh.

And the moral of the story is: Don't try to fool vegetarians who eat chicken broth into eating beef broth.

But anyway, I really should get to bed. Have to get up bright and early in the morning! 

Nighty-night!

No comments:

Post a Comment